History of Mount Hermon United Methodist Church
It all began in 1886
Pg 1
Mount Hermon Methodist Church owes its foundation to a group of Randolph-Macon College students who walked down to the old Cherry Row School House to teach Sunday School. The first members of Mount Hermon met in a one-room school located near where the Church is today.The students directed church classes from which the church grew. It was in 1886 that Asbury Christian, then a student at Randolph-Macon College started a movement for building a church, Mr. Leroy Jones, and wife Nicie, saw a need for a church to be built for the community. So, on August 2nd 1888 they deeded one acre of land to the following individuals who had been duly elected trustees for the Church and recorded at Hanover Courthouse by the clerk of the court. Mr. John R, Taylor, Richard Irby, H.W. Wingfield, W.T. Luck, E. Morain, G.M. Nolley, R.B. Smithey and Clifton Lee.
The Deed listed the Church located three miles from Ashland, Virginia on Route 656 on the Ashland Station, and Randolph-Macon District.
The Church was built by John J. Patterson, Mr. J.J. Goddin, and Mr. Thomas Luck. Some wanted to name the Church Pine Chapel, others, Christians Memorial, but at Asbury Christian's suggestion, it was named Mount Hermon. It was named for Mount Hermon in Syria, southwest of Damascus, the northern point of the Promised Land of the Israelite people. (Deuteronomy 4:48 and Josh 12:5).
The Church was built for the cost of $600.00, a request was made to the Methodist Conference for $200.00 by the Trustees to have the Church free of debt when completed. At its completion Mr. Asbury Christian preached the dedication service.
The first enrollment listed 26 church members, and 50 children for Sunday School, and the 7 trustees. The preacher in charge was J.G. Whitley, presiding elder was George A. Ray, and the Treasurer was W.T. Luck. For many years the Church depended on students from Randolph-Macon College to teach Sunday School and to preach. The first couple to be married in the Church was Mr. S.H. Patterson and Miss Carrie Kersey in November 1888.
The Church was one of five churches, which formed the Ashland circuit. The other churches were Little Bethel, which was closed in the early 1940's. St. Peters became a station church in 1951, Forrest Grove became a station church in 1979, leaving Dunn's Chapel which was built in 1883, and Mount Hermon built in 1888. For years services for Dunn's Chapel and Mount Hermon were held in the afternoon twice a month therefore they did not grow as the other two churches grew with morning services each Sunday.
Mrs. Betty Luck organized the first Ladies Aid in 1936, Mrs. Douglas Williams, wife of the pastor organized the first missionary Society and served as the first president.
Pg 2
On Sunday. August 21, 1938, the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the church was celebrated Reverend W.D. Williams was the pastor at the time. A lovely Bible was presented to Mr. J.L. Goddin in appreciation of his faithful service to the church, having served 40 years as the superintendent of Sunday School and forty-one years as a Stewart, which places he held until his death in 1951.
In 1939 Marshall Anderson, pastor, reorganized the five churches as the Women's society of Christian Service and Mrs. Ruby Chapman was elected the first president of the Circuit organization with a Circle in each church and served 25 years. Moreover, in 1939 Mr. Burton Chapman presented a picture for the pulpit in memory of his grandmother, Mrs. Patty Hastings Chapman, also a faithful member of the church until her death in 1938.
Mrs. Annie B. Kersey was the first teacher of the Ladies Bible Class, Edith C. Martin was the first organist, Estelle Stone Childress second and Eleanor Perrin Harlow followed and served until her death in 1948.
In 1948 the widow of Reverend Spottswood H. Johnson, Pastor from 1919 to 1923, gave the vestibule two classrooms, and the recessed pulpit in memory of him. They were dedicated by Dr. George Wesley Jones, while he was Pastor. Electric lights were added at this time as well.
During the ministry of Reverend Elmer Thompson, Sr., 1958-1959, four more classrooms were added and, under the leadership of Mr. Raymond Tate, Superintendent of the Church School, and his brother, Mr. James Tate, the rooms were built and when completed they were free of debt. Mrs. Katie Patterson Perkins gave the heating system and her sister, Bessie Patterson Carrington, put on a drive to purchase an electric organ, which was dedicated in 1965.
Mr. and Mrs. Burton Chapman purchased the Alter Set, which consists of the Cross, candleholders, and Offering Plates. The Cross was dedicated in memory of Mrs. Eleanor Perrin Harlow, the organist for many years, Mr. Joseph L. Goddin, Superintendent of the Church School for many years, and his son Mr. Norman Goddin, Treasurer. The candleholders were dedicated in memory of Mrs. Annie B. Kersey, Estelle S. Childress, Edith C. Martin, Thomas Luck, Eddie T. Slaughter and Samuel H. Patterson given by his wife and his daughters.
In 1968 under the leadership of Reverend Myles E. Pierson the men received their charter for the Men's Club.
In 1971, under the leadership of William E. Terry the membership had grown to 90 members with over 50 attending Sunday School. The sanctuary was papered and painted, and a portion of the sanctuary carpeted, later, Mrs. Katie Patterson Perkins purchased carpet for the rest of the sanctuary. In addition, Mount Hermon became a church of the new Ashland district.
in 1973 under the leadership of Reverend Bill Wallace, restrooms and the water system was added with Joseph and Mildred Sylvia paying for the well. Additionally, Mrs. Virginia Beazley began as secretary, succeeding Mrs. Ruby Chapman who served for years.
PG 3
In 1976 electric baseboard heat was placed in the two restrooms. Then, in August, a new floor furnace was purchased for the sanctuary and installed by the men of the church. Furthermore Mr. Burton Chapman donated a wall furnace for the fellowship hall.
In 1977, Mrs. Katie Patterson Perkins donated the public address system in memory of her parents. In addition, the pump was replaced.
In 1980, under the leadership of Reverend Raleigh H. Mann, aluminum siding and an air conditioner was added through a large gift from Mr. Troy Leadbetter, a local businessperson.
In 1981, storm windows were installed. In addition, The Yard Bulletin Board was given by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Sylvia in memory their parents. Then in June of 1981, Mrs. Katie Patterson Perkins had carpet installed in the church to go with the carpet already in place. The church also purchased a ceiling fan for the sanctuary as well. In August of 1981, steps were added to the Pastor's study with the help Mr. Joseph Sylvia. Insulation was also installed in the ceiling of the church.
In October of 1983, Mrs. Katie Patterson Perkins donated paint and Mr. James Tate painted the outside of the church.
In 1984, the Memorial Communion Set was given and dedicated in memory Mr. Raymond W. Tate by his wife, Lillie, and family. Reverend Ray Jenkins was the pastor.
In April 1983, Mr. R.R. Foutz, III, gave the land that is surrounding the well.
In 1987, electric baseboard heat was installed in the back of the sanctuary to assist the furnace.
In 1988, under the leadership of Reverend G.C. Branton, III, the interior of the church was painted. On October 30, 1988, Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Decker presented a cross at the dedication during the 100th Anniversary Program of Mount Hermon Church. Mrs. Ruby Chapman served as chairperson of the day and former pastor; Reverend Woodrow Laine, gave the morning message. In December of 1988, Reverend David Torrance, of Providence United Methodist Church, presented Mount Hermon with paraments for the alter.
In 1989, Reverend Mahlon H. Elliott, pastor 1989-2001, donated a handicap ramp to Mount Hermon.
In September 1992, the Woodmen of the World presented Mount Hermon with an American Flag and a Christian Flag, in addition, Mr. and Mrs. Bill Cassell of Richmond, Virginia, presented the church with a painting of The Lords Prayer.
In 1995. Mr. Ellwood Allen and Mr. Ronald Fontaine restored the ground the ground at the church steps and added gravel.
In 1997, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Beazley donated a new church sign to the church.
Pg 4
in 1999, the handicap ramp was repaired. New curtains were added to the fellowship hall.
In August 2000, new drapes were placed in the church. Then, in September the church purchased a new mailbox.
In May 2002, Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Sylvia donated a storage shed to Mount Hermon. In October Mr. Ernest Beazley painted the outside of the fellowship hall with the church providing the paint.In addition, Reverend and Mrs. Glenn Williams presented Mount Hermon with bibles for the pews as well as a new bible for the pulpit. Additionally, members purchased printed church shirts.
In 2003, Miss Marion Renner began as acolyte, In addition, Ellwood Allen began serving as a Stewart.
In 2004, Mount Hermon began renovations of the fellowship hall, including a kitchen and restrooms. In May 2004, the church sold cookbooks as a fundraiser. Then in July 2004 Forrest Grove United Methodist Church donated their pew cushions to Mount Hermon and Mrs. Mary Anna Sylvia altered the cushions for the Mount Hermon pews. Additionally, in July. Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Owens donated the appliances to Mount Hermon for the Kitchen. In November, a safe was purchased to keep important records. In December Mr. Gayle Carneal donated 3 fire extinguishers and 3 fire alarms to Mount Hermon.
In April 2005, Mr. Ray Silvia donated 3 ceiling beams for the renovations to the fellowship hall. The church also paid to have the ceiling painted in the fellowship hall. In November 2005, Reid funeral home donated a new church sign to the church. Additionally, Mr. Earnest Beazley marked off the property lines for the church.
In May 2005, Reverend and Mrs. Glenn Williams presented Mount Hermon with a new baptismal font.
During January 4 through 16,, Mr. Earnest Beazley installed windows in the Fellowship Hall. Then in May 2006, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hague donated a new keyboard to the church. Additionally, in May donations given in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Johnny Robertson, purchased bibles for the children's Sunday school class. Moreover Nelson Funeral Home and Crematory donated $250.00 to Mount Hermon for being one of two churches who brought in in the most bulletins at their open house. In addition, two trees in the front yard of the church were removed due to disease. Furthermore, in 2007, Mr. and Mrs. Bobby Mauney began serving as Communion Stewards.
In February 2007, Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Bayne donated a printer/copier to the church. In 2007, Mr. Robert Renner became the Adult Sunday School Teacher.
PG 5
In 2008, Reverend and Mrs. Mrs. Glenn Williams donated a beautiful banner to the church which hangs in the Fellowship Hall.
In July 2008, Mr. Earnest Beazley replaced the handicap ramp. The ramp was given by Amy Silvia in memory of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Sylvia (E.B. Shirley).
In August 2008, there were some major changes made at Mount Hermon. Earnest and Virginia Beazley purchased a new floor furnace for sanctuary and donated the furnace to Mount Hermon. The furnace was placed in the sanctuary on August 16, 2008. Also in August 2008, Mary Anna Sylvia donated curtains for the Fellowship Hall which she made. Mini-blinds for the door in the Fellowship Hall and the men's restroom were donated by Robert and Cathy Renner The curtain in the storage room was given by Rosie and Bobbie Mauney. The church also had new carpet installed in the sanctuary and ceramic tile placed in the vestibule. Mr. David Long and his father were hired for the installation.
In September 2008, Amy Sylvia presented Mount Hermon with a new lighter/extinguisher for the candles in memory of Mr. Raymond Douglas Tate, her uncle. Amy also presented Mount Hermon with mailboxes for the church members to receive mail and announcements. The mailboxes are in memory of Mrs. Lillie Tate and grandmother.